Monday, October 4, 2010

When I Fall in Love...




What a week! I can't believe it's already October! Only two-ish months to go on my Argentinean adventure. So crazy!
Since I haven't really talked about the things I do not enjoy so much about Buenos Aires, I wanted to do a bit of rant here (skip over it if you don't feel like reading my whining).
The colectivos aka bus system here is amazing. Absolutely amazing. There is about 150 colectivos in this city and with that many you'd think that they'd be completely reliable and available every 10-15 minutes right? Nope. As much as I love my trusty friend colectivo 92, sometimes it takes my dear friend almost 40 minutes to come by. Yup. So, if by any chance I have anything to do and I'm running late (which unfortunately happens too often), I sometimes don't even cut it close. Then, ironically enough, once it comes THREE more follow behind it, and I've figured out why. You see the Argentine population is very chatty, friendly, and always looking to socialize. That becomes a bit of a problem when it comes to colectivo drivers, since they like to drive side by side so that at EVERY red light they can chat with each other and discuss sports, family and how much they hate their jobs. They have no shame in anything they say, and all the passengers get to hear their entire conversations. As a result, you get four to five colectivos at once, and there's nothing to be done about it.

That can be my one rant for this week. Now I can share about my week.
Mon-Thur were uneventful until Thursday night. Katie, Po, Heidi and I headed over to plaza del sol for some drink(s) and it was a night I was not expecting. Right after I arrived, a much older man started staring at Heidi and I, and shortly approached the table. He heard us speaking English and therefore decided that it was his chance to serenade us by singing When I Fall In Love by Rick Astley. Yup, he Rick Rolled us. In the middle of the bar. He later asked if he could take a seat, which Heidi accepted. Let's just say the rest of the night was mixed with Heidi talking to Daveed (David), and it became quickly uncomfortable. So much for girls' night out!
That night Po slept over and we watched one of my favorite movies as a child: Hocus Pocus! For those of you that don't know, Po, Heidi, KT and I were planning on being the three witches (and cat) of the movie for Halloween! While the plans have changed, that movie is probably still on my top ten list.
Friday, Po and I paroozed around Belgrano and later met up with Heidi and KT at mi casa and made the amazing postre which Po's host sister taught us to make! In case I didn't already mention it, it consists of angel food cake, dulce de leche, whipped cream, and strawberries. Layered up. Also, KT and Heidi attempted to make American chocolate cookies, which turned out kind of similar. So close.
That night Po and I had round two of sleepover fest.
Saturday was to be a relaxing day, but instead I did laundry and tidied up my room from the storm of sleepovers. I went grocery shopping and re-stocked my fridge and later got a surprise visit from my aunt Vivian, my uncle Sergio and my cousin Gus. We walked around parque centenario and made plans for an asado the next day!
Saturday night was a Kika night! As always, the girls and I started the night at the bar next door and later headed over to a night of dancing. The place was pumping, crowded and as always, impossible to breathe in. We had a great time dancing, and as true Argentines, our night did not end until close to 6:00am. The next day Heidi and I had to get up for asado at my family's at 12:30pm.
We took the bus 166 from Juan B. Justo y Santa Fe Av. and it was about a 40 min ride. It's nice to be able to know how to get outside the city from just one bus! The barbecue was amazing, and Gus even invited all his friends over to meet us. After dinner about 12 of us headed over to the local pool joint and sat and chatted while others played pool. It was really nice to hang with Argentines for once and to be able to learn some stuff from then. We've already made plans for birthdays, outings, etc!
Today I did not have Spanish again, so I caught up on my sleep from the weekend and caught up on tons of homework. This week coming up I have an intense meeting and session with my volunteering site and I will definitely have to update about next weekend. It will be exciting!

Till next time mis amorsitos! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment