Sunday, September 26, 2010

Half Way Point


Before I begin telling you all about this week, I just want to mention that I am half way through my trip and I can't believe it! It's been an amazing 2 1/2 months and I know the next 2 1/2 months will be just as awesome!!!

So like I mentioned in my previous entry, last tuesday we didn't have school so Polin, Katie and I met up with other students to do what all argentines do on the national student day/first day of primavera or spring: picnic! I made my way to Las Heras Parque with my very trusty bus 92, and had a wonderful milanesa sandwich in the midst of birds and really warm weather.


It was perfect, and I am so thankful I brought my own sheet to sit on! Later, Katie, Po and I headed over to Alto Palermo, and enjoyed some very yummy (and missed!) Starbucks drinks which translated into going to see a movie. We went to see amor a distancia or in english "going the distance". Not much to say about this movie, except go see it- it's funny, romantic, heart warming and most importantly describes my life (And Po's for that matter).

Thursday also ended up being a day with no school for me, since my sociedad y cultura teacher was sick, and my historia de cultura y civilizacion class was taking a parcial (midterm) and so I was not to be there. I am having separate work, but I don't take the midterm with the rest of the class. It was a wonderful day to catch up on some reading and get some work done.

Now, I think this is the perfect time to address the issue of PIROPOS or a kind of pickup line which is very often either mouthed, whispered, told or shouted by the men of Buenos Aires to innocent girls walking by. While most of the time these lines are flattering, such as "chica hermosa" or "que linda que sos!", some can be just down right insulting. For example, of one of my good friends here (won't mention names, but you know who you are), was called "puta linda" which means "pretty whore". I mean, that's just wrong! And I have discussed this with my friends, a lot of us dread even walking by a group of men, more specifically construction workers, fruit and vegetable carriers and even paramedics. Today I got the most creative one of all, while a group of guys on the bus next to me, opened up their windows during a red light and made motions for me to open the window and shout things at me. What they didn't know was that the window was already open and I could hear everything. You never know who it will be, or what they will say, and sometimes it's not as flattering as other times.

Yesterday, after getting together with Maru, Heidi, Katie, Po and I headed up to "El Barrio Chino" or china town. While it is no where near as big as the one in NY or DC, it was pretty impressive, full of very cheap knick knacks to look at. We later had din din at one of the restaurants, and it was absolutely delicious. Although I like the chinese food at home more, I will have no problem settling for the one here.

Today, I met up with Polin to explore the Recoleta fair and look at all the awesome hand-made stuff by artisans. We both picked what we will bring loved ones and I can't wait to get it! The day ended by a yummy ice cream stop. Later, I met up with Becca and we grabbed a bite at one of the local pubs in plaza del sol which is usually pumping, but since it was a sunday- it kind of wasn't. Still it was nice to get to know a little bit more of the area.

Tomorrow my spanish teacher is sick, so I will be catching up on the work I avoided all weekend. Awesome (not). Until the next time mis amorsitos!


No comments:

Post a Comment