Sunday, September 19, 2010

Villa Crespo!

At my new apartment! It's been an amazing week, with tons of new stuff since I am finally at my new place.

Last Wednesday, I had my grandpa and Po help me move in to my new pad and afterwards Katie and Heidi joined us to get some coffee and some groceries to stock up my fridge. Later Po stayed for a night of slumbering filled with conversations and The Notebook. I am so glad she stayed with me, because I can't handle a first night by myself!
The house is really really nice, and the family is very warm. I have my own space upstairs separate from the house, so it's really nice to just have some privacy (I lacked tons of at my grandparents'). The sun hits my room all day so I am always surrounded by sunlight and I never have to turn on a light during the day which I LOVE. Natural light is always the best =) Raquel is my host-mom and she has 4 kids, two which live here. Gabo is the youngest and he is a musician who plays in San Telmo on Wednesday nights and practices singing with his guitar almost 95% of every day. Laura is an elementary school teacher who is mostly MIA and I have only seen her twice since I moved here. They are both very nice, but I am definitely enjoying Raquel's company.
Raquel is a speech pathologist for children and has her office in the house. So, tons of times I've walked in to the living room to find about 12 kids playing with toys, waiting to see Raquel. A lot of them have disabilities such as autism and down syndrome, and it seems like she really helps them. I am very impressed by her work and her techniques.

Thursday Po and I hit up the subte to get to each of our schools, and I went to school and took my first ever successful colectivo ride home! The 92 bus is now my bestest friend. It literally takes me everywhere and it's so easy to ride for only ARG$1.20! (US$.40)

Friday I reunited with Sabrina and we spent the day at Plaza Serrano where lots of individual designers have their stores and there is also a fair right in the heart of the town. Being able to not only look at but also buy authentic and original pieces from up and coming designers in Buenos Aires was amazing, and I will definitely have to go back (with more money). Afterwards, we went to a Parilla Libre or an all-you-can-eat meat buffet for lunch. For the equivalent of $10USD we ate as much meat as our hearts desired and it was A LOT of meat. I was in a food coma for the rest of the day.

Saturday Heidi, Katie, Po and I headed to El Tigre which is in the outskirts of the city where you can sit by the water and walk by the streets full of cobblestones and vendors. It was absolutely amazing and it brought back a lot of childhood memories since I used to row there with my rowing team. As the captain I always chose the paths to row on, and that was always my favorite! Rowing is still my passion.
Saturday night was Dario's (my uncle's) birthday and we celebrated by going to his house and breaking fast with pizza, and it was DELICIOUS. His wife Laura made them from scratch, I'm going to need her to come over and cook for me.

Today I mostly caught up on some household chores, such as doing laundry and tidying up my new home. I laid out on the terrace and enjoyed the amazing weather which hit the 70s today! Spring is coming! Around 5pm I helped Becca move to her new home (yay!) and later had my aunt Vivian and my uncle Sergio come visit me and we had some very hot and yummy mate. They were really sweet and conversed with Raquel a lot. She really liked them.

Since this week the nice weather is coming and Tuesday is the national students' day so there is no school, I will be making the most out of my private terrace and laying out in the sun as much as possible. I absolutely love spring time.

1 comment:

  1. What a nice pic of the obelisco!! but I think that it is on the downtown,not villa crespo!!!, I'm telling you that couse when I was staying there two years ago in an apartment for rent in Buenos Aires, I visited that place!
    You are very right about the "asado", thats amazing!!

    ReplyDelete