Sunday, September 5, 2010

Rain, Rain Go Away


Empanada making was HIGHLY successful, and we ended up making about 40, and eating 38 (We saved two for Po's host-sister and boyfriend!). Along with some delicious white wine, we were complete. (Pictures to come soon, as soon as Po chooses to download hers).

Saturday night the rain started and it did not stop until yesterday, making most of Buenos Aires extremely wet, and in many cases flooded. Puddles were extremely hard to avoid by Tuesday, and even harder to deal with on Wednesday. Thursday I gave up on going to school because not only do I find my Sociedad y Cultura class a COMPLETE waste of time, but the flooding halted the subte from working. It was quite a disaster.

So, my weekend started on Thursday and it really started. Po, Heidi, Katie and I decided we were very much missing Mexican food, so we dove into a restaurant called Tacos for dinner. The food was not so great but it was made up by an american bar called Sugar, where ladies night brings a $15 peso cover (the equivalent of almost $4USD) and an all-you-can-drink experience. The bar was very nicely located in the heart of Palermo Soho, and the drinks were very yummy. The atmosphere was chill and pleasant, definitely worth relaxing with. Although the rain brought us down a bit, the experience kept us warm!

Friday was our night of FUERZA BRUTA, another unique show in this city. Fuerza Bruta has made a name for itself all around the world, so it was highly recommended that we go see them. While I thought many of the acts were cool, it was also an extremely weird experience and very claustrophobic! After the show, the space was made into kind of a boliche with techno music and some showers (literally!) I was soaked by the end.

Last night I was in dire need of a night in, so I slumbered over at Po's. I never knew we could talk SO much. I arrived at 11:30ish and we talked until about 3:30 am. Wow! It was a much needed girls-night in.
Today, Heidi and I headed over to the Recoleta cemetery which I saw last week to meet up with Becca and McKenzie, but this time to visit the next door fair. There are hundreds of vendors all selling incredible handmade crafts. I bought myself a mate cup, which is very traditional and
common here.




I have come to realize in my almost eight weeks here, that I really don't appreciate home as much as I should. I really miss a lot of people from home and a lot of the aspects of home. Just simple things as having my own stuff in my own room and being able to jump in my car and go wherever, whenever, is so underappriciated.
I keep thinking about how my life is going to be when I get back to the states, all these fantasies, all these wishes. They're all so good, but I kind of want them NOW. Don't get me wrong, I love being here and there's very little I would give it up for, but you just don't know how much you miss home until you're not there anymore. It's so confusing. *Skip this if you're grossed out by mushiness*; I really want to just be with my man, day-to-day basis, having fun and just helping our relationship grow. That's what I daydream about! It's so difficult to do that from a distance. A relationship is really tested when it's done from the point that you can't even physically touch or emotionally bond in person, you are forced to talk with the person. It can be wonderful, but also extremely frustrating. Still, I wouldn't trade it for the WORLD =)

This week should bring a lot of fun adventures: soccer games (Argentina vs. Spain!), the jewish new year, country clubs and *hopefully* some relaxing.

Until next time!



1 comment:

  1. 1. Beautiful pic from the bus.
    2. Getting off my #&* and finally posting a comment here to say, "We miss you, but we're glad you're rediscovering Argentina when you can truly appreciate it. Have fun."
    3. Thor misses you, but understands. He consoles himself nightly with a chew, and his ears perk up lovingly when I say, "Heidi?"

    You best have some empanada fixings for us when you get back. All I have are Goya frozen beef empanadas. Not really the same as the real McCoy from my favorite Colombian restaurant in NYC.

    All our love,

    Tina, Joe and of course, THOR, DOG OF THUNDER

    ReplyDelete