Monday, July 19, 2010

Whirlwind

So, it has been a whirlwind the past 2 days. So many things blend together that I am doing my best to keep them all straight! We left Washing Reagan Airport the day before yesterday, after having a very tearful and emotional goodbye with our parents. We headed over to the terminal where our Miami flight was leaving from, and after 2 hours and some turbulance we touched down in very rainy Miami International Airport. From there, we had 20 minutes to walk all the way across the airport in order to reach our flight in time. The stewardess was already calling out our last names over the intercom.The flight down to Buenos Aires was absolutely delightful. Becca and I ended up having our own seats, so I spread out and passed out for about 75% of the flight. I woke up refreshed and anxious, an hour and a half before arrival.Once at the Buenos Aires airport, we hit up immigration and customs, where it also took us about an hour to get our bags. We figured that's what things are mostly like in Argentina: slow and irritating. Hispanic people are so relaxed!After passing over to arrivals, I looked all over the place until I pinned down my uncle who was waiting for us. We walked to his car where we immediately headed over to my grandparent's house.
My grandparents are lovely and I am so happy to be able to stay with them, even if it for such a short time. While my grandma talks a lot and is always in my business, she really cares about my wellbeing and that I am very grateful for. My grandpa is more concerned with making me electronically connected, so that's cool too.
After my grandparent's, we headed over to the hotel in which we were to stay for the night.Caseron Porteno is a wonderful little bed and breakfast, where the stay is cheap and breakfast is obviously served. It was comfortable and warm and that's all we needed.
After that, we headed over to a parilla or grill, a very cute and upscale place in Palermo Soho. I filled my tummy with nothing but beef, and we celebrated our arrival with some wine and champagne (I love Argentina!). There, my aunt Maru joined us and we had a great time just chatting and catching up on life.



It was a long day. We returned to the hotel and fell asleep.

Today was an even longer day. After waking up at 10 am, we had breakfast at the hotel and headed over by taxi to Becca's house of stay. Her neighborhood is wonderful, and after chatting with her "mom" for an hour or so, I realized she is at the right place.
We left her house to go to Alto Palermo where we could get cellphones, and where we met up with Maya, my friend from Goucher. The 3 of us had lunch and enjoyed just talking about Maya's experience, since she has been here since March. It was wonderful to hear some stuff from her.

Once we were done, I dropped Becca off at her house and I left with Subte D to get home. While I was jammed packed on the subway, I also felt a huge since of independence and happiness. I am at home. I arrived safely and I quickly started unpacking my things, and of course checking my e-mails.

I am now off to bed, since it is almost midnight here. I have a huge day planned tomorrow and the next. Definitely a huge weekend, so check back for updates!


No comments:

Post a Comment