Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Almost at the End...


At the casa rosada!




Noche de museos!

I can't believe it has been two weeks since I last updated! I have been so busy with the end of the year for school, finals and trying to do everything before my time in mi querido Buenos Aires runs out! (only 3 more weeks to go)

I will mostly update on the key things of the past two weeks:
I have been working like crazy for Susana, who is in need of translations for her upcoming thesis which she needs to turn in the day I leave. Because of that, I have been literally busting my butt off trying to get things done for her in time. She is a sweetheart and I adore her, but she also gives me tons of work and sometimes it's a little hard to keep up. Surprisingly, she offered me a position at the school she is a director of, for a year, where she will pay for an apartment for me and three friends and we would be payed very generously. As much as I love Buenos Aires and as tempting as it is, I can't know how things will play out, and I do not want to live here for an extended period of time again. The city is actually really dangerous, and the lifestyle here is very tiring. I kind of miss the US! (yes, I said it)

Besides that, I have also been working at the English institute, teaching underprivileged kids. It has been an amazing experience, but unfortunately the last class is this coming Monday. I will really miss all the great people I've met there.

About two weekends ago, I met up with McKenzie to tour a little bit of Buenos Aires, and hit up some spots I've been missing (regrettably my whole life). We met up for breakfast in San Telmo and later went to the San Telmo fair, which is absolutely huge and runs a while neighborhood wide. It was also the anniversary of the fair, so tons of people were dressed up in costumes celebrating and having fun. It was really great, and very funny. After we got our shopping done, we landed right at the Casa Rosada, which is the Argentine White House. We decided to get closer and see if by any chance they were doing tours, and we were so happy to find out that they were! So we toured that, and when we finished we headed over to the Rose Garden in central Palermo.
The Rose Garden was unlike anything else I have ever seen, it was so beautiful and kind of seemed out of place for a busy and dirty city like BA. But it was still awesome, and was made even more awesome by the fact that McKenzie and I decided to rent a rowboat! The day was perfect, and I definitely saw a lot more than I thought I would at the beginning of the day.

A lot of my time, regrettably, has been spent at Starbucks and parks the last couple of days. I have shared a lot of Starbucks time with PoLin, Heidi, Katie and Becca, and lovely park days with Rebecca!
Becca and I are also planning a trip to Mar Del Plata (beautiful beach just outside of BA) for the first weekend in December. It will be spectacular and definitely needed! It's so crazy that we will soon be home in Baltimore.

A week or so ago, the girls and I also attended the Noche de Museos (Night of Museums), which was made up of all museums in Buenos Aires open until about three or four AM and for that one night, they were all free. Although I only went to two (I was tired!), it was awesome to walk around the streets that late and see so many people out. Everyone was taking advantage and the thought of going to a museum late at night was actually pretty cool.

This past Monday night we attended La Bomba De Tiempo concert, where about 6 or 7 persons play different acoustic instruments and create awesome folkloric kind of dances. It was very lively and enjoyable.

Tomorrow is a very hectic day. In the morning I will be going to UP to sign up for finals, then come back home to make a delicious dessert for thanksgiving and then head over to Po's for some shopping for dinner. We will be making asado (bbq) instead of a turkey, since turkeys are really hard to find here, but of course, we will add our own little twist!
Tomorrow night I am going to spend the night at my grandparents' house, since Friday morning MY MOM ARRIVES IN BUENOS AIRES!!! I am so excited, and I can't wait to share the last three weeks of my trip with her! Much more to come once she gets here.

Hasta luego amigitos <3

No comments:

Post a Comment